Pages

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Review: Those Who Save Us

Those Who Save Us


I absolutely loved this book!  I bought it from Border's at least 2 years ago, and just never picked it up.  If you have this book, read it now!  The story goes back and forth between Trudy, a history professor in the present, and her mother in Germany during WWII.  Trudy is gathering oral histories about German experiences during the war.  Through this work, she starts to find out the story of what happened to her mother during the war, something her mother refuses to talk about. 
I really loved the writing style and can't believe this is the author's first book.  I liked the way the narrative switched between Trudy in the modern day and her mother during the war.  I was a little disappointed with the ending.  I have read a lot of books about the Holocaust, but they are mostly all about the Jewish people, and I liked that this book was different.  It presented a German woman who tried to help Jewish prisoners. 

2 comments:

  1. this sounds right up my alley, thanks for the reccomenadtion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure I have a lot of books like this on my shelf, great books waiting to be read.

    I will be on the look-out for this book. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete