Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Chicken with basil-mustard sauce

I keep a binder of recipes that I have printed out or torn out from magazines.  I found this recipe from either Shape or Self magazine, I can't remember which one.  I had some basil left from another recipe so I decided to try this.  It was really good.  My husband loved it, and he is usually not crazy about chicken.  It is really good served with some Italian bread to dip in the leftover sauce.  I will definitely make this again, and I think I am going to try it with different herbs.

Chicken with basil-mustard sauce
2 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 chicken breasts
1-1 1/4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup white wine (I used chicken broth)
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 tbsp chopped shallots
2 tbsp chopped basil


Stir together flour, salt and pepper.  Dredge chicken in flour, reserve remaining flour.  Combine 1 cup broth, wine, and mustard. 
Heat 1 tbsp oil until hot but not smoking.  Add chicken ; reduce heat to medium and saute until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Put on plate.
Put remaining oil into skillet.  Add shallots and cook over medium heat until beginning to brown. Pour in wine mixture and bring to boil.  Return chicken to skillet.  Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until chicken is done.  If sauce is too thick, add remaining 1/4 cup broth.  Add in basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment