Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Canada Day cake


When we were first dating, I decided to do a party for my husband for Canada Day.  Having only been up here once at that point, I really had no idea what was considered "traditional" Canadian food.  I made poutine, tourtiere, and a few other things.  Needless to say, since I hadn't actually had any of those foods, they didn't turn out too well.

I decided to make a cake for my husband and father in law for Canada Day.  With some of the free time I have had I have been practicing my cake decorating.  Last year, before moving to Canada, I took two of the Wilton classes and really enjoyed them.  I didn't have time to take the last two classes, but I did buy the books for them.  This cake is my second cake done with fondant.  I have tried fondant before a few times but it hadn't worked out for one reason or another.  I thought this time it looked pretty good.  This is marshmallow fondant which tastes a lot better than the packaged stuff.  It's just really sweet, so you wouldn't want to eat a lot of it. 

Cake Journal has a recipe for marshmallow fondant and really good step by step directions with pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment