Pages

Friday, July 23, 2010

Review: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close


Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close: A Novel

Synopsis from Amazon:
Oskar Schell, hero of this brilliant follow-up to Foer's bestselling Everything Is Illuminated, is a nine-year-old amateur inventor, jewelry designer, astrophysicist, tambourine player and pacifist. Like the second-language narrator of Illuminated, Oskar turns his naïvely precocious vocabulary to the understanding of historical tragedy, as he searches New York for the lock that matches a mysterious key left by his father when he was killed in the September 11 attacks, a quest that intertwines with the story of his grandparents, whose lives were blighted by the firebombing of Dresden.

My review:
When I started to read this book, I wasn't sure I was going to like it.  It took a little while to get into it.  But, once I got into it, it was a quick read.  The main character Oscar was very likable.  He is 9 years old, but he seemed so much older and more mature, but he still had the innocence of a little boy.  It was really touching to follow Oscar through his search for clues about his father.  I liked the underlying story about his grandparents and how it tied into Oscar's story.  Throughout the book there are pictures and drawings that relate to the story.  I thought this added some interest to the book.  I really liked this book and would definitely read more by this author.

1 comment:

  1. This is by far one of my favorite books. I also really liked how the story was tied together and the pictures and drawings included.

    ReplyDelete