Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

Review: Atonement

Atonement

Synopsis from Amazon:
We meet 13-year-old Briony Tallis in the summer of 1935, as she attempts to stage a production of her new drama "The Trials of Arabella" to welcome home her older, idolized brother Leon. But she soon discovers that her cousins, the glamorous Lola and the twin boys Jackson and Pierrot, aren't up to the task, and directorial ambitions are abandoned as more interesting prospects of preoccupation come onto the scene. The charlady's son, Robbie Turner, appears to be forcing Briony's sister Cecilia to strip in the fountain and sends her obscene letters; Leon has brought home a dim chocolate magnate keen for a war to promote his new "Army Ammo" chocolate bar; and upstairs, Briony's migraine-stricken mother Emily keeps tabs on the house from her bed. Soon, secrets emerge that change the lives of everyone present....

My (quick) review:
I had started this book a couple of times and just couldn't get into it.  I had heard such great things about it that I decided to give it another shot and really try to get through it.  I really did not like the main character Briony.  She is spoiled and bossy.  Some parts, especially at the beginning, confused me.  When the main plot is introduced, it is evident right away that Briony is lying, although her motive is not clear.  I had read a couple of other books by this author and loved them, but I did not enjoy Atonement as much.  I definitely don't think that it is worthy of being nominated for the Booker Prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment